Welcome to the website of ME 274 for the Fall 2008 semester. On this site you can view blog posts, add your own blog posts and add comments to existing posts. In addition to the blog are links to course material: course information, information on solution videos, exams, quizzes, homeworks and other course-related material. Direct links to the homework solution videos are also available on the left side of this page.


The following is a reverse chronological order listing of the posts for the course blog. To add a post, click here (when adding posts, be sure to add a "label" in the box at the lower right side of the post window). To add a comment to an existing post, click on the "Comments" link below the post.


____________________________________________________

Dec 9, 2008

Homework Problem 8/61


I am having trouble understanding exactly what 8/61 is asking exactly. I solved for "A" which is the amplitude. I then set this equal to less than 2b and solved for omega. I tried to compare this to omega_n but still wasn't completely understanding the question.

11 comments:

Janet said...

This amplitude, A, must be between -2b and 2b, so you can set up an inequality with this information and solve for omega in terms of k and m. I was also slightly confused as to why the book decided to introduce omega_n, but you can easily get the shown answer by dividing your inequality by omega_n which we found to be sqrt(k/m). Perhaps the book did this merely to eliminate the k and m terms of the inequality.

Phoenix said...

On a related note, sort of - I almost got the correct answer according to the book, but I got sqrt(3/2) and 1/sqrt(2) instead of the inverse. Any ideas why?

jjj said...

Like Alex: I got the inverse of the answers; sqrt(1/2) and sqrt(3/2) (which is wrong), but what I did was..

you know: x(p) = A sin(wt)

you've solved for A. I turned my A into an expression like on page 622 (8/19). Then since you want to talk about maximums you can forget about oscillation. I then set my version of (8/19) equal to +2b and -2b. Then solved for w/w_n.

I hope this is close to right procedure, but I've made a mistake in there somewhere.. anyone for some blog pts care to point it out?

jjj said...

CMK for steal? :)

Byron said...

I had the same problem as Alex and J Biberstine. I came up with the inverse of the answers in the book and I can't figure out what would cause this problem.

Adam Watson said...

I came up with
b/(1-(omega/omega_n)^2) < +-2b

the b's cancel, but i get 1/sqrt(2) for both positive and negative 2b... I think I'm even more lost than you guys. Help?

kmjones said...

I'm having the same problem...is it possible that the book has a typo?

Adam - when the b's cancel, you'll end up with 1 on the left side. When you are doing the "-2b" part, make sure when you take it over to the left side that you add it and not subtract it.

sean said...

anyone having any luck with this one yet? I am having the same problems.

CMK said...

Let me jump in on your discussion.

If you read the fine print of the question it asks about the "motion of the mass m RELATIVE to that of the cart". What does that mean?

It looks like all of you are on the right path for finding the motion of the mass: x(t) = A*sin(omega*t). From this, you need to next find the motion of the mass RELATIVE to the base: x(t) - xB(t) = A*sin(omega*t) - b*sin(omega*t) = (A-b)*sin(omega*t).

Next, you need to make sure that abs(A - b) < 2b (where "abs" means absolute value).

Does this help? If not, let us know.

Lindsey VanDeMark said...

I'm still a bit confused I thought when we solved for the particular solution we found B to be zero, is this a different B that we are using to find the relative omega?

FrankTheTank said...

I wasn't sure what to do about the abs(A-b) either, so I followed what the book did on page 622 (eq 8/17). If you find your EOM, you should be able to plug in b*(w/wn^2) for your Fo/k. Use this new value of b(w/wn)^2 / [1-(w/wn)^2] and set that less than your 2b. Using this inequality, I was able to get the correct answers.